What do you do at Walker West?
Serve as executive director where my role is to oversee operations of the music academy. I work with staff and board of directors on governance, policy, and long-term planning with the goal of driving further growth and relevancy to this historic academy.
When I actively played, my instruments were piano, organ, and saxophone
What style(s) of music do you teach/play?
I have played classical, gospel, and jazz
Lawton/Fort Sill, Oklahoma
What are some performance/professional highlights?
- Went to college initially on a music scholarship
- Received an MBA
- Worked for world-class companies such as General Mills and The Nielsen Company
- Co-owned a market research company
What was your first gig?
Playing at the NCO club in Fort Sill, Oklahoma as a teenager
Favorite Walker West memory/experience?
- Watching my kids–Mandela & Wynton–play recitals
- My first string recital 10/27/2018
Miles Davis, Wynton Marsalis, John Coltrane, and Jimmy Smith
- Current: Urban Nature: Sammy Figueroa & the Latin Jazz
- Of All Time: Back at the Chicken Shack: Jimmy Smith–B3 Organ; Stanley Turrentine–Tenor Sax; Kenny Burrell–Guitar
Why is music education so important?
Music helped me significantly improve my academic performance and it can help others
Advice to young musicians?
Strive for excellence and be open to growth and innovation along the journey