Walker|West Executive Director Job Posting – April 2018
Walker|West is currently accepting applications for the position of Executive Director.
Walker|West is a 501(c)3 nonprofit organization. Our mission is to create a music learning community rooted in the African American cultural experience where people of all ages and backgrounds can gather, explore and grow through music.
The history of a school and a vibrant, enduring community cannot be broken down solely into dates and facts. The story of Walker|West is really about a commitment to music education, and about the people of all ages whose lives are enriched by it. We have been here in the Summit-University neighborhood since 1988. Thousands of our students have gone on to do exceptionally well in music and in other avenues of life. It all began with a commitment and vision pursued by two renowned African American musicians, Walker|West founders Reverend Carl Walker and Grant West.
Walker|West students have gone on to study at Berkeley School of Music, Julliard, USC Thornton School of Music, New School, New England Conservatory, Eastman School of Music, Manhattan School of Music, Oberlin Conservatory, and others. For more information about Walker|West programs and classes please explore our website.
The next Executive Director will provide program oversight, ensure administrative and financial health, and lead and grow the organization through stewardship of Walker|West’s mission and vision. The Executive Director is responsible for oversight of all work in support of the mission and advancing a shared vision for the future of Walker West.
The next Executive Director is expected to move the organization toward self-generated financial independence and create systems and infrastructure to support long-term sustainability. The Executive Director will serve as chief spokesperson for the organization, relate to the larger community on behalf of Walker|West, and assure the organization and its mission are properly invested in the culture and the community of families who give it life and spirit.
The Executive Director provides oversight to faculty and staff and reports to the Board of Walker|West Directors. This position is full-time, exempt, and salary is commensurate with experience.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
Mission and Vision – Work with Board of Directors, faculty, staff, and other stakeholders to promote and fulfill the mission of Walker|West. Work with the Board on setting vision and strategic direction for Walker|West and provide leadership to Board and staff to implement that vision.
Operations and Programming – Oversight of all organizational operations and management of the organization’s primary music education programs. Oversight of day-to-day operations of Walker|West.
Financial – Manage budget and budgeting process, contract management, and communicate financial standing to Walker|West Board of Directors to support Board fiduciary and governance functions. Ensure financial stability of the organization.
Development – Oversee fundraising activities, grant-writing, and grant management. Expand fundraising capabilities and identify new sources of revenue to support the growth of the organization.
Staff Supervision – Provide leadership and clear direction to staff and faculty. Nurture a healthy work environment that encourages and supports professional development and utilizes existing strengths and skills to advance Walker|West’s mission and programming.
Key Skills and Qualifications
• Bachelor’s degree or at least five years in successful nonprofit management or administration, or a combination of comparable experience and education
• Experience with the local arts and music community with sector-specific knowledge and established relationships and networks
• Understanding of local, regional, and national music trends
• Experience in the area of youth development and engaging families
• Proven fundraising/revenue-generating experience and a strong capacity for writing and securing grants
• Demonstrated ability to work and build respectful relationships with people from diverse backgrounds
• Strong operational skills with the ability to move a strategic vision forward for the future of Walker|West
• Understanding of nonprofit management and leadership experience with a Board of Directors
• Experience in financial management and budgeting process
• Ability to articulate vision and value of Walker|West and serve as the public face of the organization
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills
• Strong interpersonal skills and proven ability to successfully supervise staff and support staff development
Position will remain open until filled. Submit information by 5PM on Friday, April 20th to be considered in the first screening. Send cover letter, resume, references, and salary requirements as one .pdf document to firstname.lastname@example.org. A confirmation email will be sent upon receipt. Questions about the search can be directed to Melissa Martinez-Sones at Meyer Consulting: email@example.com.