Our Seven Reasons to Support Walker|West
Give Now to our Give to the Max Day Campaign
Support Walker|West today, and help us continue to provide programs like:
- The Rondo Community Music Series, a free series of concerts and community-building.
- Summer Music Camp, where students learn to play 4 instruments and sing in a choir in just 3 weeks!
- Summer Jazz Intensive, where students learned improvisation, music theory, jazz history, and playing together in an ensemble.
- Music for Families, a collaboration between Walker|West and Sing Play Learn with MacPhail®, this program is open to parents with children ages 0 to 4. Now Walker|West offers music programs for students from infants to senior citizens.
- Master Classes, including last month’s workshop with jazz great Terence Blanchard and a potential Februrary 2020 workshop with Iraqi-American composer/jazz trumpeter Amir ElSaffar.
- Community involvement. Can music instruction help close the achievement gap between minority and white students in St. Paul? Walker|West instructors are working with Barack and Michelle Obama Elementary School to find out. Walker|West co-founder Grant West will provide piano/keyboard instruction and internationally known percussionist Babatunde Lea will teach a percussion class to the young scholars at Obama Elementary, where 80 percent of students are persons of color. We’re also collaborating with St. Paul’s High School of the Recording Arts. Walker|West students will go to HSRA to learn digital recording and technology. HSRA students will come to Walker|West to learn instrumental music and basic music theory.
- Our Mission: Walker|West creates a music learning community rooted in the African-American cultural experience, where people of all ages and backgrounds can gather, explore, and grow through music.